Friday, March 8, 2013

@yournamehere

If it isn't obvious, I'm obsessed with all things social media. You can often find me at my computer resembling something of this nature:



Facebook, twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, tumblr, all those fun things. There's nothing I love more than thinking up a witty caption for a photo or an amusing 140 character anecdotes about one of my mundane life events.

I think a lot of people, like myself, like the community that's created through social media. Aside from cyber bullying and those annoying people who just like to pick fights on Facebook walls, people can really connect with people to feel more included and less isolated. Especially now that people are really increasing their live tweeting of national events (Obama's second inauguration, Oscar's, etc) and using an excessive amount of #hashtags, people can easily access what you have to say.

Like those photos take during the weekends that show how seriously you are taking your duty to drink legally? We're all applying for internships and jobs and guess what-- they DEFINITELY google you and look at your twitter. When pictures of your ratchet Thirsty Thursday comes up on your feed, they'll be like that US Olympic gymnast and will not be impressed.

So what info do we put on which social media platforms? A lot of my friends will post personal things on twitter and then keep facebook nice and tidy because they have parents and other relatives on there. I personally like to keep twitter for professional networking stuff (and don't forget those anecdotes about my life events!) and leave my personal musings to facebook.

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way to do social media, but this is just a friendly reminder to be conscious of what you put on your social media because you never know who is going to see it. And a reminder to not use hashtags on facebook, because that just irks everyone.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment