Friday, February 1, 2013

The Fourth Line


There’s a popular picture on the internet, consisting of a triangle and a possibility at each point: good grades, social life, and enough sleep. Inside the triangle it reads: “choose two”. It’s definitely a real and hard decision students have to face daily. It’s almost as hard as deciding whether to work out or stay home and eat cookies while watching New Girl. Okay just kidding, that’s clearly an easy decision. 

And if that wasn’t hard enough, in the past year or two another line has been added: career preparation. As we near college graduation, we have the added duty of finding a career to sustain us once we’re out of college so we’re not like the bird lady in Mary Poppins. Although she did seem bad-ass and "Feed the Birds" is one of my fave Disney songs.

How do you balance school, friends, sleep, and finding internships/networking with top-dogs in your career industry? Can you even balance it all? And if you can’t, who gets voted off the island? This is seriously like Sophie’s Choice. Kind of.

I’m wanting to go into social/digital media and editorial/entertainment writing after college, so in order for me to keep up with the industry, I literally need to watch TV and constantly check twitter so I can be up to speed on the latest pop culture references, (it’s actually pretty awesome). But I can’t always sit down for 30 minutes and watch TV, and retweeting the latest social media news while conjugating French verbs in class just isn’t possible.

I have friends who want to be directors and actors, but can’t go to auditions or spend all their time blocking a show because they need to study bio or read for their economy class. 

And don’t forget friends! And sleep (which practically is our best friend anyways right?)! I truly used to be a believer that it was possible to do it all, but now that we’re adding more lines, and more funny shows on TV, I’m not entirely sure that it is. But I consider myself an inclusive person, and I want to keep everything on the island! Whether that means I’ll have to sacrifice a few hours of sleep, or not immediately know about what Kimye is naming their baby, I guess we’ll have to see. But I’m going to make these four lines into a diamond and make every point shine. (It’s the end of the week, you needed that cheesy line.)

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment