Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ain't I A Woman?

Patricia Arquette brought up equal wage in her Oscar acceptance speech, and it was great. And Meryl Streep gestured from the audience in support, and it was great.



But then afterwards, surely on a high from winning Best Supporting Actress, Patty continued with, "It’s time for all the women in America, and all the men that love women and all the gay people and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for to fight for us now."

Not so great, for a couple of reasons. One, the fight for racial and sexual orientation equality is far from over, but that is another topic for another blog post. Or a graduate thesis. What resonated with me more was the lack of recognition for intersectionality in this statement. Women can be non-white and not straight, and these things are not mutually exclusive. Was she asking queer women of color to choose their womanhood over their race and sexual orientation?

How apropos for the last week of Black History Month and the week before Women's History Month.

It got me thinking about a project I did sophomore year for my Dramaturgy class at UT. The assignment was to create a fictional theater company, complete with a mission statement and a season schedule.

"Mwali Theater Company, based in Harlem, is dedicated to serving and presenting work to young black females in urban areas. We want to act as a catalyst for our audiences to achieve their dreams and promote a positive self-image. Our 2012-2013 season is entitled "Ain't I A Woman?", honoring black female playwrights. 
Works will include; Rachel by Angelina Grimke, an adaptation of The Street by Ann Petry, A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, and For Colored Girls Who Considered Suicide When The Rainbow is Enuf by Ntozake Shange."

My guiding principle for this project was the idea of black women being a "double minority". They are black and they are women in a white male-dominating society. Not only are they being rejected by men for being women, but they're being rejected by women (and men) for being black. Often being reduced to two cultural cliches, the "jezebel" and the "mammy", how in the hell are black women ever suppose to feel empowered? I've had plenty of my white guy friends and boyfriends exoticize and sexualize me...and I'm only half-black and light-skinned.

Luckily, there have been black women who have stood as pillars, tall and strong, not allowing anyone to knock them over. Black women who have stood at the podium of fame, and spoke their truth. I've looked to them as sources of inspiration, motivation, and sisterhood. And so, I made a list. (I've really been into lists lately, haven't I?) I narrowed them down, A LOT. There are so many black women not on this list that have accomplished extraordinary things. I chose to highlight the women that have had a direct effect on my art. And if you'll allow me to be a bit self-indulgent, I've included a few videos that will show just that.

Without further ado:

Misty Copeland
American Ballet Theater soloist
I'm embarrassed to admit I just really learned of Misty Copeland recently. I had heard whispers and rumblings, but then I bought her autobiography, and didn't put it down until I was done. She details her loving albeit unstable childhood, and all of obstacles she dealt with growing up, like living in a motel with her six brothers and sisters. Her journey as an African-American ballerina has been anything but easy, obviously. She introduced ABT to what a woman with curves and muscles looks like. Growing up in the dance studio, I was constantly told that I didn't have the body for ballet, and while I loved my ballet classmates, I was more than aware of my studio's lack of diversity. What I loved about Misty's book is the idea that true artistry comes from a passion and expression of self, rather than being a size zero (which I think she is, but I'll forgive her).



Patina Miller
Broadway musical actress
I actually met Patina the first time I saw her perform, as Sister Mary Clarence in Sister Act on Broadway. I was a sophomore in college, and I was hungry to connect with musical theater performers. She had such energy and vivacity on stage, it was hard to take my eyes off of her and watch other people. Her warmth and enthusiasm had me in tears by the end. She was genuinely sweet in person, too. I saw her again as The Leading Player in Pippin almost two years later, and she had the same captivating spirit and dynamics as before. What I love so much about Patina as a musical theater performer (rather than say, Audra McDonald) was her commitment to loud, lively characters as opposed to soft, romantic (and almost submissive?) characters. She attacked The Leading Player role with gumption, usually a role for a black man. As she was peppered questions about this topic during interviews, she confidently responded about her placement in the role, no apologies.




Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen
Broadway, film, TV actress and Broadway actress and dancer
It seems only natural to admire a stellar actress with whom I share a name, but Ms. Rashad is so much more than that! Her work in The Cosby Show is still some of the best I've seen in TV, and if you can get past P. Diddy's acting, her acting in the 2008 film A Raisin in the Sun is truthful, powerful, and compelling. No wonder she won the 2004 Tony for Best Leading Actress in a Play for Raisin's revival, although it's sad that she was the first African-American woman to do so. Debbie, her sister, is a firecracker. Her performance of Anita in West Side Story is engrained in my memory (I channel her, too, in the America video above). I don't know her as well as Ms. Rashad, but I do know she's incredible. What I think makes Ms. Rashad and what I hope to emulate in my own work is the ability to be strong and vulnerable when acting. It's not as easy as it looks.


Whoopi Goldberg
Broadway, film, TV actress
WHOOPAY. I feel like Whoopi is one of those crazy aunts I've known since I was born. She fluidly moves between stage and screen, and she keeps me laughing the whole time. She obviously has great comedic timing, but also has this very intriguing way of listening and just being. She seems so present in her work. I was obsessed with her in second grade, and I guess all the teachers at my school knew it, because after my talent show performance, a random teacher that I barely knew told me that Whoopi would be proud. That's all the praise I needed. My love for her continues (even though I know she is kind of whack on The View), so much so that I claimed her coveted Sister Mary Clarence role when my friends and I remade Sister Act 2's "Joyful, Joyful" for the 20th anniversary.



Maya Angelou
Poet and writer
When I chose Maya Angelou for my hero project in fourth grade, I didn't realize what a big deal she was. My mom had told me about her and her work, but as I grew up I quickly fell in love with her eloquent and intoxicating words. Some of my favorite quotes of hers are:
"Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances."
"When we find someone who is brave, fun, intelligent, and loving, we have to thank the universe."
"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."
"I got my own back."
Then there is her poem, "Phenomenal Woman", which I think articulates this idea I've been grappling with. Despite the setbacks predetermined for them because of their race and gender, black women are beautiful. Black women are strong, and have grit. Black women are phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment